Thanks Tracy for the wonderfull description,

Greg,
Use this piece of code

cmdHttpService.addEventListener(ResultEvent.RESULT, CmdHandler);
cmdHttpService.resultFormat = "e4x";
cmdHttpService.useProxy = false;
cmdHttpService.contentType = "text/xml" ;
cmdHttpService.addEventListener(FaultEvent.FAULT, CmdFaultHandler);

// This is the Command Fault Handler
public function CmdFaultHandler(event:FaultEvent):void
{
trace("FaultHandler");
trace("Cmd is Invalid ");
var faultstring:String = event.fault.faultString;
        Alert.show("FaultHandler", faultstring);

}

public function CmdHandler(event:ResultEvent):void
{
trace("Command ResultHandler");

var resultXML:XML = new XML(event.result) as XML;

// u can use resultXML as a pure XML

Regards,
Paresh M. More
Software Engineer