Flex is not a language, it is a framework. Essentially, it is a bunch of classes built in ActionScript 3. MXML is a different language than ActionScript 3, but you do not need to know MXML to use Flex. The Flex compiler actually turns MXML into AS3 code under the hood. I think I once read that Adobe views MXML as an ActionScript generation language. I believe that MXML makes the Flex Framework more accessible to beginners. Code written w/ the Flex Framework that is compiled into a swc should run on Flash Player 9 or above without problems.

Axonn wrote:
Hi Wallace and thank you for your answer. Well, I would like to avoid using
Flex. I'm using the Flex Builder for Action Script. I don't want to go into
the Flex framework and learn any of it. I think it's pointless to learn yet
another language. ActionScript is enough ::- D. Plus, I don't know if Flex
is supported by the Flash Player???

Axonn.

mswallacecoder wrote:
I think the thing that everyone confuses when they ask these types of
questions is Flex vs Flash....... IT IS ALL FLASH. Basically when you
choose to use "The Flex Framework" for a project it is because you need to
take advantage of the framework features that Flex provides like Data
Binding and of course the main feature "The Components".

The main feature of Flex that you get out of the box is all the components
that you can call and use without having to build your own. If you feel
that the FrameWork will allow you a huge advantage because of the
components say for building menus for your game or something of that
nature then I would say Go for it! The Flex framework does have a
SWFLoader Component that you could load your actual game into. Then if you
need the came to send game data back and forth between the swf and the
Flex application you could do this by using custom events or public
variables or objects and functions.

Does that help at all ?

-Matthew Wallace
http://flashalisious.com

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, Axonn <theax...@...> wrote:
Hm, I think I didn't ask the right question, because somebody told me
that it
*is* possible.

What I want is this:

- Create a FLA file in Flash.
- Draw 2 rectangles.
- Create an AS file in Flex 3.
- Attach it to the Flash.
- Export as SWF.
- Continue development in Flex 3. When hit "debug", my Flash-created SWF
starts but the debug code is attached to Flex 3, because I am in Flex 3.
But
you know Flex 3 creates that default SWF. I don't want that. I want to
use
the Flash SWF, which *DOES* have my AS class from Flex in it.
- DO modifications to the AS but DON'T START FLASH AGAIN until I need to
modify graphics and such.

Axonn.

That is correct.  Flex can only debug code in flex itself.

I did see a book at barnes and noble last week that dealt with games in
Flex (but I forgot the name of it).

Jeffry Houser, Technical Entrepreneur
Adobe Community Expert: http://tinyurl.com/684b5h
http://www.twitter.com/reboog711  | Phone: 203-379-0773
--
Easy to use Interface Components for Flex Developers
http://www.flextras.com?c=104