Hi Omar,

Remember that we're building OO systems in Flex here...

First off; you might consider having an ErrorViewHelper ... there's a good
argument here for a view helper.  Your "model" is an exception, but you want
to manipulate that model to prepare it for the view, ie to change an
exception into a user-readable error message displayed in a dialog.  Perhaps
you even have different icons to display in your error dialog depending on
the exception thrown.  So in this case, you might want to consider an
ErrorViewHelper that is responsible for popping up an error dialog with an
appropriate error message/icon depending upon the exception thrown.

So yes .... perhaps a ViewHelper will work for you here, and I think it's a
valid use-case for the pattern.

But my earlier warning; remember you are building on OO system here.  So you
should think about what business objects you can extract that have utility
for your application.  I might think about creating an ErrorService class
that sits outwith the Cairngorm framework and provides the utility that you
require.  Your command classes can then become clients of your ErrorService
class, which can be separately unit-tested.

Cairngorm is doing 80% of the heavy-lifting on most applications, and gives
structure to your workflow.  But, I'd really like to see developers
continuing to take responsibility for application-specific business domain
objects, rather than abdicating responsibility for where behavior resides,
to a best-fit choice of command, business delegate or view helper.

Make sense ?

Steven
PS.  I hate class names ending in Manager or Service - it's just such an
overused suffix that lacks ingenuity.  ExceptionManager, ErrorService,
ErrorManager .... aaargh.  See if you can find a name that describes your
particular problem's solution a little better than I can. :)

--
Steven Webster
Technical Director

Office:  +44 (0)131 338 6108
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 216 223

This e-mail and any associated attachments transmitted with it may contain
confidential information and must not be copied, or disclosed, or used by
anyone other than the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended
recipient(s) please destroy this e-mail, and any copies of it, immediately.

Please also note that while software systems have been used to try to ensure
that this e-mail has been swept for viruses, iteration::two do not accept
responsibility for any damage or loss caused in respect of any viruses
transmitted by the e-mail. Please ensure your own checks are carried out
before any attachments are opened.