Tracy,

Thank you for your response. I've got the checkbox renderer from cflex and it's
working just fine. i've updated my XMLListCollection with the 'selected'
property and it renders fine as well.

The problem is updating the collection on click of a datagrid row.

Here is what I have:

private function onItemClick( event:ListEvent ):void {
            // update the dataprovider using the collection API
            var e:ListEvent = event;
            var rowIndex:Number = e.rowIndex;
                        var coll:XMLListCollection = myDG.dataProvider as
XMLListCollection;
                        coll.setItemAt({selected:true},rowIndex);
        }

I don't appear to be setting the correct object. Do I wanted to be setting the
datagrid's selectedItem instead?

and here is my XMLListCollection.

<mx:dataProvider>
                                <mx:XMLListCollection>