OK never mind, finally figured this out.  Hadn't heard of the
declarations tag before.  And so I just created an XMLListCollection
component, and then put the XMLList in that with my data inside that.

And then on my application MXML component, I put this new
XMLListCollection component inside my declarations tag.  Thanks, and
just ignore me!