Hello Richard,
this what i use to make my air application run in full screen as
you expected :
i ran a function "Resize" on startup ->
        addedToStage="Resize()"

private function Resize():void{

/* this.stage.nativeWindow.width = Capabilities.screenResolutionX;
this.stage.nativeWindow.height = Capabilities.screenResolutionY; */

//trace(NativeWindow.systemMaxSize);
//this.stage.displayState =
StageDisplayState.FULL_SCREEN_INTERACTIVE;
this.stage.nativeWindow.maximize();
/*  trace("width : " + nativeWindow.width + " " +
Capabilities.screenResolutionX );
trace("height : " + nativeWindow.height + " " +
Capabilities.screenResolutionY); */
}

As you can see i 've try the FULL_SREEN too but that wasn't
statisfying me.

this.stage.nativeWindow.maximize();
I remember that nativeWindow work only for air application,
doesn't it ?

Hope it'll work for you :)

Alban