Dan,   The classes explicitly referenced in SystemManager are always linked
in the first frame. That said, given the fact that you have open source SDK,
you can play quite a few tricks on Flex/linker.
First, if you are loading in the application domain you can place your own
SystemManager of ~0 size with no references in your modules code hence
removing all the baggage you are complaining about.
Second, on
RSLItem and more importantly on RSLItemsLoader classes - you can
implement modifications in the source code to minimize number of
server requests for RSLs already loaded, do multistreaming in some
cases and customize loading process in runtime to your liking.
You are on open source platform - anything goes.

I believe some of these tricks are documented in application performance
chapter in our upcoming flex book from oreilly - should be out soon.
Regards
Anatole Tartakovsky
Farata Systems