I have a few uicomponent classes that have movieclips linked up through
metadata.  It seems every time that I compile, I have to switch up the
base-class from sprite to movieclip in my class, or movieclip to sprite, in
order for the code to actually compile into the project.

Is there a list of best practices, tutorial, or anything specific I can look at
so I can make sure that I am not doing something wrong that obvious...

Is it true the difference between the plain old actionscript compiler and the
flex compiler, when it comes to compiled embedded clips, that the base class is
sprite in flex - if the asset has only one frame, and multiple frames are
automatically movieclips.  Does this also mean in flash, in the properties i
should extend the base class as Sprite instead of movieclip?

as always, Thanks for your time.

Patrick