Michael,

I had problems getting the ActionScript project code into the AIR
application.

The original Document Class from OriginalProgram.AS would not run
because it was no longer automatically on the display list and so its
stage variable was null.

I emptied the code from the constructor into a new function called main,
added an instance to the stage, see below, and completed the
construction via main().
It could then proceed since stage was no longer null.

My background colour has changed and the aligment isn't working but it
looks very promising.

Thanks again.

John

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
 <mx:WindowedApplication xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml";
layout="absolute" creationComplete="start();">
  <mx:Script>
   <![CDATA[
   private var prog:OriginalProgram;

   public function start():void {
     prog=new OriginalProgram;              // An instance of the
original Document Class

     nativeWindow.stage.addChild(prog); // The constructor needs the
prog.stage variable set, and

     prog.main();                                      // then this can
now run all the original constructor code.
   }
   ]]>
 </mx:Script>
 <mx:UIComponent id="container" />