Hi Ben,

You can try extending the Application class and override the get parameters
method.

public class MyApplication extends Application
{
        private var test_params:Object;

        public function MyApplication()
        {
                test_params={foo:"bar"};
                super();
        }

        override public function  get parameters():Object{
            var super_params:Object=super.parameters;
            for (var i:String in test_params){
                if (!super_params[i])
                    super_params[i]=test_params[i];
            }
            return super_params;

The above class will return the actual flashvar params recieved from html if
any + any properties of your test_params object (if the same param is defined
both as a flashvar and in your test_params object, the flashvar param value
will be returned.

You can use this as the entry point of your Flex application.
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<ns:MyApplication xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml"; layout="absolute"
xmlns:ns="*">

</ns:MyApplication>