Unless there is a better way, I used

var myXML:XML;
var myLoader:URLLoader = new URLLoader();
myLoader.load(new URLRequest("com/assets/hyperlinks.xml"));
myLoader.addEventListener(Event.COMPLETE, processXML);

Part of my problem was not escaping the &s in the xml and naming the folder
where it is stored wrong. It always helps to have the right xml structure in
place :), unfortunately I didn't see any obvious hints as to what was failing.