Quick answer, and I may not have time  to follow up with more detail . You
can have different series types within the same chart definition.

In other words, an <mx:ColumnSeries> element doesn't have to be inside an
<mx:ColumnChart> element. So just use an <mx:CartesianChart> (I believe
that's what it's called) and add the series you need.

Of course, the devil's in the details, but that might get you started.