PCI Compliance is a nightmare. ;)

I'm sure Amazon.com goes through the process of being PCI compliant; and has
high level security for storing and encrypting credit cards.  For example, I'm
sure their credit card storage machines are in a secure building [with guards
and limited access] on machines that are only accessible by sitting at the
machine or via a secure VPN connection.

And I'm sure routine audits are done by outside companies, although I don't
know the frequency they need to occur.  Additionally, every time they release
new code; it needs to be reviewed by some party independent of the developer.
Etc.. etc..

Putting together a PCI compliant environment is easily a $100K proposition if
you aren't storing credit cards.  I'm sure Amazon.com spends much more than
that on a yearly basis.

For the rest of us go to a company like Authorize.net [or similar] that
provides subscription billing services.  We never have access to the CC ata,
just some unique customer ID that we can use for billing subscription services.