I know the mandates have gotten stricter after they have been released.  It
sounds like you've been dealing with it longer than I have.

Without a doubt a lot of compliance issues have very little to do with coding,
but rather relate to administrative type of issues for how data is handled and
stored.

If you're writing and selling POS software; but not actually using that
software itself,your steps to create PCI compliant software will be a lot
simpler than the company who buys an uses your software.