Thanks for testing.

At this point, I consider this a bug, that the tree does not display its
selection, when it is updated via binding of "selectedItems", where the
property bound to is updated in response to a RESET of the data provider
collection.

My workaround might interest some people. It is inspired by the
pop-ups-with-presentation-manager pattern described by Theo "Iconara"
Hultberg here:

http://mate.asfusion.com/forums/topic.php?id=591

So, using BindingUtils.bindSetter,  I have a function in the view which
"observes" a status property in the presentation model. In the past, I have
also used the Observe tag from Adobe consulting for this sort of thing. The
observing function does the selection updating (though tree.selectedItems is
still bound as well). The status property in the presentation model is
updated when the collection is reset.

In order to get this to work, I *still* had to wrap the view-based selection
updating in a callLater(), which I hate, but such is life.