Sorry :) That seems to happen a lot with my topics.

Use case 1:
 Customer (a sales engineer) accesses a demo that is hosted on the web like
any other Flex app. This demo makes no api calls, but does need to access an
XML config file that lives in a data folder beside the SWF

Use case 2:
Sales engineer has a copy of the entire directory (swf, wrapper html, config
file) and runs it locally

I think your second point confirms that to support both use cases with one
version of the application, the customer would have to add a trusted
location so that the app could get to the config. That may be fine, I would
have to check.

Since this is all read-only stuff, I would have hoped I could do it with one
SWF and no user-intervention, but I imagine there are good reasons for these
restrictions.