Hi Judah,
AFAIK, you have 2 approaches to execute the code before
"preinitialize" event is fired.

1) Mark you class with metadata [Mixin] and put the code in need into method

public static function init(systemManager:ISystemManager):

See "HowTo create your developer ToolBox with Mixins" blog article
http://www.rialvalue.com/blog/2010/05/21/howto-create-your-developer-toolbox-with-mixins/

2) Via custom preloader class you can execute the code before
SystemManager.intialize() method executes,

See "How I (sort of) modified Flex’s SystemManager.initialize() method"
http://www.visible-form.com/blog/how-i-sort-of-modified-flexs-systemmanagerinitialize-method/

--
Best regards,
Andriy Panas

On 4 June 2010 06:57, dorkie dork from dorktown
<dorkiedorkfromdorkt...@gmail.com> wrote:

> That's what I'd like to do. So I added an event listener to the application
> preinitialized event like so:
>
> <s:Application preinitialize="myHandler()" />
>
> the problem is, in my application it takes a while to get to that event. so
> that's why I'm trying to find another event that happens sooner than that. it
> would be great to have systemManager, fontManager, resourceManager and
> styleManager creationComplete events so I can see what's taking so long in
> addition to redirecting if I need to.
>
> JP
>
> On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 10:02 PM, Kerry Thompson <al...@cyberiantiger.biz>
> wrote:
>>

>>> it's taking a couple of seconds to reach the preinitialize event.
>>> according to this slideshow
>>> http://www.slideshare.net/michael.labriola/dense-and-hot-360-flex slide 24,
>>> 25 etc
>>> there are a couple things going on that i don't need early on. so i'd like
>>> to check the contents of a shared object or session variable early on and
>>> redirect to a much lighter login page if i need to.
>>

>> It doesn't take long to check the contents of a shared object. Why not just
>> do that before you intialize the object, and let it know whether to do the
>> lighter load?
>>
>> Cordially,
>>
>> Kerry Thompson

<*> Your email settings: