I have a  different setup from you, but I debug my java backends without a
problem wether I make my request in air, ajax or flex.
A php project is a request response model, so no matter what initiates the
request you should be able to put a breakpoint in your code.

Your url request in air can have all those querystring variables.

--
j:pn
\\no comment