Thanks for the response Alex.  I see the you created a base variable in AS3 and
then called it in SWFLoader appending "nested.swf".

I was actually hoping to find a solution that would eliminate the need to write
the path into the 'source' attribute.  So that all swf's loaded by mx:SWFLoader
would default to some "base" path that is different from the root directory of
the parent swf (default behavior of flash), allowing me to  write the source as
source="nested.swf".