No not quite.  That would be polling.  I am *not* suggesting polling.
 What I am suggesting is using a "Blocking Registration" pattern to
handle this.

Basically you get Flex to make an HTTP request to say a servlet in
your webserver.  That http call will "hang".  Since the player makes
an http request on its own thread, this hang has no impact on the UI.

Now when the event occurs the servlet releases the hung connection,
which returns data and the result handler on the client fires and
delivers the event to the UI.  Viola.  Effectively server-push but
without the major issues of server-push or true client-pull.

This design has been tested in basically some of the biggest financial
services applications in the world.

Dave Wolf
Cynergy Systems, Inc.
Macromedia Flex Alliance Partner