John Dowdell wrote:

> This is interesting. I was hoping someone else had a better answer than
> what I've currently got, but didn't want to leave it unanswered too.
>
> Let me make sure I'm correctly understanding what you'd like to do... it
> seems like there's some external mapping source which can give you a
> series of irregular polygons, with stroke/fill colors, in SVG format.
> You'd like these to display in the final SWF delivered to the audience,
> and would like to be able to programmatically change stroke/fill colors

<snip/>

This is essentially correct, although I don't yet have a good example of
the SVG that might be used.  All I'd like to do at this stage is have an
mx:Button which highlights a corresponding polygon.  The data could
conceivably be embedded, I wouldn't be intending to load in new SVG
files on the fly.  I don't have a proper project yet, it's very much a
proof-of-concept thing.

The best solution is probably the one that doesn't require me to be a
complete Flash guru.  :o)

Having the Flex server translate the SVG into the final SWF sounds like
the best solution to me, if it can be done.  It seems I either treat SVG
as an image, but then I can't manipulate it, or I treat it as XML, in
which case Flex won't let me display it.

Thank you for all of your suggestions.  I've searched as you suggested
and found DENG (Flash-based SVG rendering) as well as an article by
Helen Triolo, these certainly sound like avenues worth exploring.

Regards,

Dave

http://us.click.yahoo.com/T8sf5C/tzNLAA/TtwFAA/nhFolB/TM