With XML sockets you could send a policy file over the wire through the socket itself, however as you’re not going to be able to do this with a telnet server I’m not sure you have any options.

Only work around I can think of is to write a bounce app that runs on your webserver and relays messages to/from the telnet server. This could have security issues for you however.

-----Original Message-----
From: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Ralf Rottmann
Sent: 01 December 2005 15:33
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [flexcoders] Cross Server Socket Connection (NOT XMLSocket)

You’re right, Scott. The policy file needs to be on the *destination* server – and that causes the problem. In a socket world the destination server might not even be a web server. E.g. the server could be a simple echo server which just sends back all text received on a specific port. You could e.g. telnet the server:

telnet 10.1.1.10

>helo
>echo: helo
>i send this command
>echo: i send this command
>exit
>echo: bye

So the server waiting for a socket connection does not even know anything about policy files including not how to server them back to a flash client.

The question remains: Can a flash player open socket connections to *non web servers*. If not, this would mean  a no go for a whole set of RIAs.

Ralf Rottmann