DataSets won't work... even "typed" ones.  Actionscript won't know how to translate your DataSet into an actionscript object.
I recommend creating a class based object model on the .net side.  That will serialize back and forth properly between .net and flex.

I do remember reading about a product called flashorb (since rebranded as weborb) which is a flash remoting product that has support for .net datasets.  Might work.

If you do get datasets to work with flex you should post it back to this group.  The problem has come up a few times.  With no solution.

p.s. Macromedia had told me they would have a .NET solution for flex data services over a year ago.  Strategic on there part that they havn't built one yet.  If I were them... I wouldn't support Microsoft either.  *Cuz i know... given the opportunity... MS wouldn't support them*.  All's fair in love and war i guess.