On 12/17/05, Peter Farland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > I can tell you, however, that Flex 2 Data Provider API is
> > considerably different. I believe the mx.remoting.RecordSet
> > API as it stands in Flex 1.5 is an inadequate data provider
> > for Flex 2 components.
>
> How can plain old web services, which are totally generic, be adequate
> but not recordsets?
>
> [Pete] Sorry, I should have explained further. Flex 2 components use
> mx.collections.ICollectionView to manage data that may have also come
> from a remote location (implying that users might have to consider
> paging concerns when all of the data is not present on the client). If
> mx.remoting.RecordSet is ported to AS3 and made to extend something like
> mx.collections.ListCollectionView things would start to look better for
> legacy data interacting with new components.
>
> I think this is a reasonable request for legacy application support - I
> logged an enhancement request as bug #154595.

Thank you!!!!!!

> Not that this is a consolation to your situation, but note that we have
> new, more advanced and very flexible frameworks for managing remote data
> in Flex Enterprise Services 2 - keep an eye out for a Beta of this soon.

You're right, its fascinating, but it's not a consolation since I dont
expect to be able to afford the 10-20k I am imagining this will
cost!!!

> > Also, how were you constructing these on the server?
> > CF Query objects?
>
> Brians story is different from mine which I am sure is different for php
> users. But I construct all of my recordsets with JDBC resultsets.
> Cached rowsets to be exact. I suck lots of complex queries right out of
> the database and send them to flash. The data never becomes serialized
> POJOs.
>
> [Pete] Very cool. The format of a JDBC resultset (well, cached rowset as
> you accurately state), and a CF Query were the same over the wire
> according to Flash / Flex. The structure is pretty simple. Did you make
> use of paging by any chance?

Well, thats a good question. I have written the code to do it, but I
have not exercised it yet since I have been working on other issues.
So the answer is *kinda*. For testing, I have set the page size really
high so it wouldnt hit that piece of the code.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/KIlPFB/vlQLAA/TtwFAA/nhFolB/TM