Sent: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 12:13 AM
Subject: Re: [flexcoders] Having hard time understanding what features are available to whom when and how

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I can see how your suggestion would work, but in my case I don't think I can use the background color.  Imagine if the shapes were the six states of New England on a map.  I want to be able to control the color of each state to be one of eight colors.

I can see a few approaches.  One would be to treat the whole map of New England as a graphic and then somehow repaint the individual state, perhaps on a pixel by pixel basis.  I suppose that could work, but it would be tedious.

Another way would be to have a graphic object of each state with a transparent background and then overlay them appropriately in their appropriate positions.  However, the color I would have to then change would be the foreground object color and I don't know that there is a simple way to do that.  I could, perhaps, supply eight graphics for each state and then switch between them using _javascript_ to alter the DHTML.  That might be feasible for six states, but if the map included all fifty states, I would need at least 50 * 8 graphic objects to use that approach.

A third way might be to somehow use areamaps and regions, but I don't know if that would result in DHTML where I could easily recolor a region.

What do you think would work?

Bruce