From: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Brendan Meutzner
Sent: 28 February 2006 15:01
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [flexcoders] Re: RIA Certified Developer/Architect

Nick,

You've got a point... I agree with you in that solid experience does
mean more than any specific degree/certification... but...

Given the relative infancy of the Flex, and the fact that it has been
licenced to target the larger scale companies/projects, I would think
it's generally difficult to actually get "hands on" experience working
on a Flex project.  I realize that anyone could learn Flex if they
wanted to, but I for one thank my lucky stars that I was able to
actually stumble my way onto a Flex project back in 2004.  It's one
thing to say "yeah, I know flex, look at these cool apps I've done up
in my spare time" compared to "yeah, i worked on project X for X
months, and my employer was extremely pleased with my work" (or maybe
not, but he/she was a jerk anyway).  Most people don't know what Flex
is (especially recruiters), and the simple fact that i've worked on
"a" project is qualification enough for them.

Getting to my point... I think that certification would give Joe B.
who hasn't worked on a "project" the ability to learn his stuff and
take the cert exam.  I'd think that having that certification at this
point for Flex, would be enough qualification for Joe to get that
first "real" Flex job.

Thoughts?

Brendan

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Nick Weekes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> just my 10 cents, but over here in the UK graduates of tech (comp
> science/systems dev etc) based degrees usually get some sort of
> certification (mostly MSCE/MSCD).  So we have college leavers with
this kind
> of certificate, which kind of puts certification at the junior/entry
level,
> rather than the 'niche carving' level.

> I think the fact that someone can put on their resume that they have
solid
> experience of a (relatively new) tech such as Flex is way more
important.

> But maybe its totally different in other countries.
>

>   _____

Nexaweb, ajax
> etc.
>
> Anyone of them that comes out early is most likely to carve a niche for
> himself.
>
> Adobe do really have an edge for now :-)
>
> Regards
>

>   _____

Flex in the
> not too distant future.
>

> On 2/27/06, JesterXL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> ...both of you, Jonathan and Brendan, have good attitudes, and
contribute to
> this list.  Both of those facts alone would cause me to hire you in a
> heartbeat.
>

> However, if you are looking for the sense of accomplishment, ability to
> represent bigger companies, and the resume addition, then I understand.

+design+development&w2=Computer+software+development&w3=Software+design+and+

development&w4=Macromedia+flex&w5=Software+development+best+practice&c=5&s=1
> 66&.sig=L-4QTvxB_quFDtMyhrQaHQ>
>
> Computer software development

te+design+development&w2=Computer+software+development&w3=Software+design+an

d+development&w4=Macromedia+flex&w5=Software+development+best+practice&c=5&s
> =166&.sig=lvQjSRfQDfWudJSe1lLjHw>
>
> Software design and development

site+design+development&w2=Computer+software+development&w3=Software+design+

and+development&w4=Macromedia+flex&w5=Software+development+best+practice&c=5
> &s=166&.sig=1pMBCdo3DsJbuU9AEmO1oQ>
>

> Macromedia flex

lopment&w2=Computer+software+development&w3=Software+design+and+development&

w4=Macromedia+flex&w5=Software+development+best+practice&c=5&s=166&.sig=OO6n
> PIrz7_EpZI36cYzBjw>
>
> Software development best practice

eb+site+design+development&w2=Computer+software+development&w3=Software+desi