From: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Mike
Sent: Monday, April 17, 2006 8:58 AM
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [flexcoders] Newbie Question: Error being thrown on Grid Sort

Using Flex Beta2, I'm populating a grid via XML through an HTTPService
component. Grid populates fine, but, if I sort the grid with a column
click, and any of the cells are Null, the grid throws the following
error:

Error: Cannot determine comparator for SortField with name 'LastName'
        at
mx.collections::SortField/http://www.adobe.com/2006/flex/mx/internal::in
itCompare()
        at mx.collections::Sort/::initSortFields()
        at mx.collections::Sort/sort()
        at
mx.collections::ListCollectionView/mx.collections:ListCollectionView::in
ternalRefresh()
        at mx.collections::ListCollectionView/refresh()
        at mx.controls::DataGrid/sortByColumn()
        at mx.controls::DataGrid/::headerReleaseHandler()
        at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEvent()
        at mx.controls::DataGrid/mouseUpHandler()

Question is: Should I prevent NULLs with some server side kludge?
Should I implement a SortField handler that is "null-safe" ?