I'm not sure if this is the best specific answer - but the dev center Cairngorm lectures have been the best start  thus far for me.  They helped me to see the relative roles of  the different elements of Cairngorm.  This got me on my way to building.  I'm waiting for some new Flex 2 doc for cairngorm myself but until then if you can get a hold of the old school FlexBook - it has the reason behind the code- it's antiquated as far as the code and Flex 2 but  the rationale still applies.

Mani