I think you might be interpreting the "showy shopping cart" as you call it as really a client side app that manages data mostly on the client side; and maintains integrity through publish & subscribe.

If I were you, and anybody out there, I think it's rather obvious that most of us will run into situations where we want to build a Flex Builder 2.0 front end to a WSDL ASP.Net Web Service (by requirement not because it's the fastest) to a SQL Server 2005 database.

But in the end, I think you're right, you should invest your time in Flex Data Services because of the publish & subscribe; it's model works far better imho in maintaining data integrity among a group of clients.

Apple Computer started the phrase "Publish & Subscribe" back in the eary 1990's, and Mickeysoft followed with OLE.  This was for inter-application communication.

SQL Server continued to use the term to maintain distributed databases.  I did one for the Ford 150 Demo Drive; hooked up a P&S between LA and Detroit; Ford sales people would ask questions upload to FTP server, agent program would put into database and it would eventually get to Detroit.

Well, the Drill-Down interface I created was much appreciated -- but it queried the server every time.  I had the option of .Net for this -- but my opinion .Net is fine for applications; but I've wasted enough time to use it for creating web pages (though non UI Web Services are still something very viable on Windows Server 2003).

If I had it my way -- we'd all have a thin client Desktop with something like Flex and then any server a person wants to use.  I still respect both Linux and Windows Server 2003.

But when it comes to the client on Windows Desktop and IE and FLEX, I'm afraid the industry is in for another greedy grab by Nicklesoft.  They tried it before; they'll try it again.

If you don't know ASP.Net for Web Services stick to Data Enterprise Server.

-r

michaellisten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I'm trying to decide which technology to invest my time into, and will
be experimenting with both .net and flex. I like the OS independence
that flex enables on the server side. I'd buy flex builder because I'm
interested in whichever provides the simplest learning curve, and I'm
sure on the flex side of things, flex builder would be a major asset.

Most of the applications that I build are database front ends, and are
not exposed to the public; they're usually used over intranet or
internet+vpn. CRUD stuff mostly, not image centric or needing the kind
of graphical wow that one tends to associate with flex/flash. I am not
that fond of the regular browser based format that we've been using
for a decade. I am looking forward to the RIA age. If using .net I'd
probably go with winforms and remoting or webservices for the backend.

But most flex example apps are less database oriented and are often
showy shopping carts. Is flex going to be good for what I'm after?
Most examples have little data entry. I posted here about flex/flash
comboboxes for data entry/selection and didn't get much in the way of
feedback.

I am most interested in the approach that is the most productive;
helps the most with data binding, wysisyg designers, error handling,
and so forth. I'm usually asked to create a lot of solid software in a
minimal timeframe, so my priority here will be to choose software that
simplifies the design/build cycle.