hi Pat,

as that line suggesting:

"The supplied DisplayObject must be a child of the caller"

you probably are using some DisplayList related functions like getChildByName(), removeChild(), setChildIndex() and providing an Object(a sprite/movieClip/displayList....) which *is not the direct child of that parent DisplayObjectContainer*.

I ran into this several times before, just double check if you used any method mentioned above and the relationship between the child objects and parent container.

Or, post sample code so we can take a look at it.

Jeremy.