Torey Maerz wrote:

So what can I do to give my internet based application read access on
the client's machine?

You'll need to have the user upload the file to your server.  When the upload is complete you'll then need to download the file from the server into the Flex application (check out the FileReference class for upload, and URLLoader to pull data in from a specific URL).  You'll probably want to run a clean-up script on the server then to delete the user's file after it's been downloaded by the Flex app.

-d