Karl:

The problem I'm having isn't with selecting the items per se. It's
with sending the data to the middle tier. The value of each item is an
integer, but when I try to send the values to the middle tier, the
Java code interprets the array (or comma-separated list) as a single
string and breaks.

Here's the list control:
<mx:List id="lsSelected" dataProvider="{selectedServiceList}"
labelField="@name" allowMultipleSelection="true" dragEnabled="true"
dropEnabled="true" dragMoveEnabled="true" />

Here's the relevant ActionScript:

private function saveChanges():void {
var arr:Array = [];
var params:Object = new Object;
for(var i:String in selectedServiceList){
var obj:Object = selectedServiceList.getItemAt(int(i));
arr.push([EMAIL PROTECTED]);
}
params.save="true";
params.selectedProxiedServiceIds = arr;