I get a "Send failed" error with the fault-detail being
"Channel.Connect.Failed error NetConnection.Call.Failed: HTTP: Failed"

Debug shows, that the NetConnection attempt seems to be made towards
"http://localhost:8700/flex2gateway/"; - which is my flex port!?

My adapted "services-config-plus-FlashRemoting.xml" file including the
"ColdFusion" destination looks like this. Maybe you can have a short
look. It is the default file with the Coldfusion destination added to
it. This is also the one I set in the compiler options. I even tried
setting {server.port}=8500 which is correct one for my installation...

-----
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<services-config>

    <services>
        <service-include file-path="remoting-config.xml" />
        <service-include file-path="proxy-config.xml" />
        <service-include file-path="messaging-config.xml" />
        <service-include file-path="data-management-config.xml" />

        <!-- cf dummy destination for the mxml compiler -->
            <service id="coldfusion-flashremoting-service"
             class="flex.messaging.services.RemotingService"
             messageTypes="flex.messaging.messages.RemotingMessage">

            <adapters>
                <adapter-definition id="cf-object"
class="coldfusion.flash.messaging.ColdFusionAdapter" default="true"/>
            </adapters>

            <destination id="ColdFusion">
                <channels>
                    <channel ref="my-cfamf"/>
                </channels>
                <properties>
                    <source>*</source>
                    <!-- define the resolution rules and access level of
the cfc being invoked -->
                    <access>
                        <!-- Use the ColdFusion mappings to find CFCs,
by default only CFC files under your webroot can be found. -->
                        <use-mappings>false</use-mappings>
                        <!-- allow "public and remote" or just "remote"
methods to be invoked -->
                        <method-access-level>remote</method-access-level>
                    </access>

                    <property-case>
                        <!-- cfc property names -->
                        <force-cfc-lowercase>false</force-cfc-lowercase>
                        <!-- Query column names -->
                        <force-query-lowercase>false</force-query-lowercase>
                        <!-- struct keys -->

<force-struct-lowercase>false</force-struct-lowercase>
                    </property-case>
                </properties>
            </destination>

        </service>

    </services>

    <security>
        <login-command class="flex.messaging.security.JRunLoginCommand"
server="JRun"/>
        <!-- Uncomment the correct app server
        <login-command
class="flex.messaging.security.TomcatLoginCommand" server="Tomcat"/>
        <login-command
class="flex.messaging.security.WeblogicLoginCommand" server="Weblogic"/>
        <login-command
class="flex.messaging.security.WebSphereLoginCommand" server="WebSphere"/>
        -->
        <security-constraint id="basic-read-access">
            <auth-method>Basic</auth-method>
            <roles>
                <role>guests</role>
                <role>accountants</role>
                <role>employees</role>
                <role>managers</role>
            </roles>
        </security-constraint>
    </security>

    <channels>

            <!--  -->
            <channel-definition id="my-cfamf"
class="mx.messaging.channels.AMFChannel">
            <endpoint
uri="http://{server.name}:{server.port}{context.root}/flex2gateway/";
class="flex.messaging.endpoints.AMFEndpoint"/>
            <properties>
                <polling-enabled>false</polling-enabled>
                <serialization>
                    <instantiate-types>false</instantiate-types>
                </serialization>
            </properties>
        </channel-definition>

        <channel-definition id="my-amf"
uri="http://{server.name}:{server.port}/{context.root}/messagebroker/amf";
class="flex.messaging.endpoints.AMFEndpoint"/>
            <properties>
                <polling-enabled>false</polling-enabled>
            </properties>
        </channel-definition>

        <channel-definition id="my-secure-amf"
class="mx.messaging.channels.SecureAMFChannel">
            <endpoint
uri="https://{server.name}:9100/{context.root}/messagebroker/amfsecure";
class="flex.messaging.endpoints.SecureAMFEndpoint"/>
        </channel-definition>

        <channel-definition id="my-polling-amf"
uri="http://{server.name}:{server.port}/{context.root}/messagebroker/amfpolling";

class="flex.messaging.endpoints.AMFEndpoint"/>
            <properties>
                <polling-enabled>true</polling-enabled>
                <polling-interval-seconds>8</polling-interval-seconds>
            </properties>
        </channel-definition>

        <channel-definition id="my-rtmp"
class="mx.messaging.channels.RTMPChannel">
            <endpoint uri="rtmp://{server.name}:2038"
class="flex.messaging.endpoints.RTMPEndpoint"/>
            <properties>
                <idle-timeout-minutes>20</idle-timeout-minutes>
                <client-to-server-maxbps>100K</client-to-server-maxbps>
                <server-to-client-maxbps>100K</server-to-client-maxbps>
                <!-- for deployment on WebSphere, must be mapped to a
WorkManager available in the web application's jndi context.

<websphere-workmanager-jndi-name>java:comp/env/wm/MessagingWorkManager</websphere-workmanager-jndi-name>
                -->
            </properties>
        </channel-definition>

        <channel-definition id="my-http"
class="mx.messaging.channels.HTTPChannel">
            <endpoint
uri="http://{server.name}:{server.port}/{context.root}/messagebroker/http";
class="flex.messaging.endpoints.HTTPEndpoint"/>
        </channel-definition>

        <channel-definition id="my-secure-http"
class="mx.messaging.channels.SecureHTTPChannel">
            <endpoint
uri="https://{server.name}:9100/{context.root}/messagebroker/httpsecure";
class="flex.messaging.endpoints.SecureHTTPEndpoint"/>
        </channel-definition>

    </channels>

    <logging>
        <target class="flex.messaging.log.ConsoleTarget" level="Error">
            <properties>
                <prefix>[Flex] </prefix>
                <includeDate>false</includeDate>
                <includeTime>false</includeTime>
                <includeLevel>false</includeLevel>
                <includeCategory>false</includeCategory>
            </properties>
            <filters>
                <pattern>Endpoint.*</pattern>
                <pattern>Service.*</pattern>
                <pattern>Configuration</pattern>
            </filters>
        </target>
    </logging>

    <system>
        <redeploy>
            <enabled>true</enabled>
            <watch-interval>20</watch-interval>

<watch-file>{context.root}/WEB-INF/flex/services-config.xml</watch-file>

<watch-file>{context.root}/WEB-INF/flex/proxy-config.xml</watch-file>

<watch-file>{context.root}/WEB-INF/flex/remoting-config.xml</watch-file>

<watch-file>{context.root}/WEB-INF/flex/messaging-config.xml</watch-file>

<watch-file>{context.root}/WEB-INF/flex/data-management-config.xml</watch-file>
            <touch-file>{context.root}/WEB-INF/web.xml</touch-file>
        </redeploy>
    </system>

</services-config>
-----