Hi Geoffrey,

This may have been changed from B3 to final.  The borderSkin is only
used by containers with (border is ISimpleStyleClient) not (border
is IUIComponent).  Instead of a VBox, use a Panel and the borderSkin
class will be applied.

-TH

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Geoffrey.Rogers"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Tim, I saw you had the same problem with Gradient background too
with
> container components.  I'm also trying to skin the background of a
container
> ("VBOX"). But I'm not having any luck with it.
>
> Here is an example of my code. I am using Flex Builder 2.0 final.
>
> //MXML code
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
>
> <mx:Application xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml";
layout="absolute">

>             <mx:VBox x="65" y="60"
> borderSkin="utils.skins.BackgroundGradientFill"  width="100%"
height="100%"
> backgroundColor="#00ff00">
>
>             </mx:VBox>
>
> </mx:Application>
>

> //Skin Class
>
> package utils.skins
>
> {
>
>             import mx.skins.RectangularBorder;
>
>             import flash.geom.Rectangle;
>
>             import flash.geom.Matrix;
>
>             import flash.display.DisplayObjectContainer;
>
>             import mx.core.IUIComponent;
>
>             import flash.events.Event;
>
>             import mx.managers.ISystemManager;
>
>             import flash.display.Sprite;
>
>             import flash.display.DisplayObject;
>
>             import flash.display.GradientType;
>
>             import flash.display.SpreadMethod;
>

>             public class BackgroundGradientFill extends
RectangularBorder

>             {
>
>                         private var _fillColors:Array;
>
>                         private var _fillAlphas:Array;
>
>                         private var _fillRatios:Array;
>
>                         private var _fillMatrix:Matrix;
>
>                         private var _fillType:String;
>
>                         private var _fillCornerRadius:Number;
>
>                         private var _fillRotation:Number;
>
>                         private var _spreadMethod:String;
>

>                         public function BackgroundGradientFill()
>
>                         {
>
>                                     super();
>

>                         }
>

>                         override protected function
> updateDisplayList(w:Number, h:Number):void{
>
>                                     super.updateDisplayList(w,h);
>

>                                     graphics.clear();
>
>                                     _fillCornerRadius =
> getStyle("cornerRadius") ? undefined : 0;
>
>                                     //var rota =
> getStyle("backgroundGradientRotation") ? undefined : 2;
>
>                                     _fillRatios =
> getStyle("backgroundGradientRatios") ? undefined : [0xCC,0xFF];
>
>                                     _fillColors =
> getStyle("backgroundGradientColors") ? undefined :
[0x000000,0xFFFFFF];

>                                     _fillAlphas =
> getStyle("backgroundGradientAlphas") ? undefined : [1.0,.50];
>
>                                     _fillType =
> getStyle("backgroundGradientType") ? undefined :
GradientType.LINEAR;

>                                     _fillMatrix = new Matrix();
>

> _fillMatrix.createGradientBox(w,h,0,0,0);
>
>                                     _spreadMethod =
SpreadMethod.PAD;

>                                     _fillRotation = 2*Math.PI*
(90/360);

>                                     _fillMatrix.rotate
(_fillRotation);

> graphics.beginGradientFill
(_fillType,_fillColors,_fillAlphas,_fillRatios,_fi
> llMatrix,_spreadMethod);
>
>                                     //or this but I don't get
anywhere.
> graphics.beginFill(0xFFFFFF,1.0);