Hello Flex-perts,

I am a Project Manager for an industrial application services
company; a part of the project I am working on currently involves
KPI and data dashboards for a legacy industrial application already
in place.  The purpose of this post is to get your advice on using
Flex for the solution—which I believe to be suited for the
requirements—and also seek  freelance Flex/Flash developers that can
assist us with the development of a what I think will be a simple
dashboard.

The legacy application is a client server app installed in separate
plants each on separate databases---same application but one site is
running on Access DB other is on MSSQL.  The table structures are
almost identical for both the Access and SQL versions. In this case,
the dashboard does not have to be able to link the separate dataset
(but that would be good to have)—each site/DB could have its own
dashboard or we could build one that pulls data from both site DBs?

The functionality of dashboard would be pretty straightforward:
display summary and detailed drill down information for key areas of
equipment and maintenance management. I have history and
understanding of this and the app--and will be able to develop a
clear business specification for a good Flex developer to help roll
into a technical spec. The talk is around doing this with a host of
other tools—Cognos to the MS Biz Scorecard tools.   I think Flex
might be a much choice for several reasons—one major one is that the
application needs to stand alone; we will not have web server, IIS,
Sharepoint, etc,  like some of the other tools mentioned will
require, everywhere this needs to be deployed.  Seems logical to
build it in Flex, wrap it up SWF, deploy and run it in Flash for end
users---easy, clean, and strong visually?

So, I am thinking about Flex for this in the right way?  I have seen
some samples on dashboards but does anyone have feedback regarding
dashboarding/BI with Flex?

Lastly, if any developers would be interested in working with us on
this development effort as a contract freelancer, please contact me
via email below. Include your professional bio, proposed bill rate,
Flex sample apps you have developed, and any comments specific to
this project.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.  Sorry for the novel-length
email…

Keith Smith
Maintsource

http://us.click.yahoo.com/SISQkA/gOaOAA/yQLSAA/nhFolB/TM