I feel like this might be a shot in the dark, but in Flex builder there is a menu at the top.   Check the "Project" menu and make sure "Build Automatically" is checked.  This is the piece that makes it compile when you save.  If its not checked, you may  need to tell it to build manually before the swf will get written.

HTH
sim