2 things to do to ensure you're not nuts.

1. Add &recompile=true to the end of the URL string.  Slows compiling, but
it's worth the piece of mind.

2. Delete generated everytime you want to be sure your changes are in fact
taking.  Mine's here for Flex 1.5:
C:\JRun4\servers\starExhibits\cfusion-ear\cfusion-war\WEB-INF\flex\generated

LOL!!!! Royal... AWESOME.  Whew, that made my Thursday.  Mmmm, tasty
burger!!!!

First off, bindings are supposed to free you from initialization worries.
Here's how it was in Flash:
- capture data in member var
- create asset
- wait a frame
- set data
- delete member var
- repeat process in convulted way

In Flex?  Bind value in View and it'll "work" when she's created.  Pimp!

I'm sorry to hear it's not working that way for you.  Here's the rundown.

- init
- createChildren
- initial drawing
* initialize is before everything is done drawing
- createChildren is the last event fired when everyone and their mom is
ready

There is a good rundown of this on Adobe's DevNet site.  If you want the
link, I can go find; it's a pretty good explanation.