----- Original Message -----
From: "JesterXL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <flexcoders@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 2:26 AM
Subject: Re: [flexcoders] Re: Simple way to do "Please wait..." type window

> One way I did it was making a Singleton class that popups up a small
> TitleWindow.  This TitleWindow has a ProgressBar in it.  The ProgressBar's
> indeterminate is bound to the visibility (you don't want it playing while
> the window is invisible; takes up resources).  You can then do:
>
> WaitWindow.showProgress("Loading...");
>
> Inside, it'll create a popup if none exists, and put the text in there.
> It's modal by default.  You can then later go:
>
> WaitWindow.remove();
>
> And if one exists, it'll remove it.  Subsequent calls to showProgress
> merely
> update the text.  You can use this for changed commands.

Are modal windows really a good way to go with this? It seems to me to be a
step backward when you are stopping the user from doing anything whilst data
is loading. What happens if the load is particularly slow, fails, or was
accidentally initiated and the user changes their mind?

Seems to me that modal progress windows just go completely against the idea
of an asynchronous event driven architecture.

Paul