----- Original Message -----
From: "JesterXL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <flexcoders@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 4:35 AM
Subject: Re: [flexcoders] Re: Simple way to do "Please wait..." type window

> Depends.  The spinning watch is what we use 100% of the time; that's the
> default cursor that still allows you to click around.  However, for some
> interfaces where you DON'T want the user to click anything and need to
> force
> them to wait, modality works great; it's why they gave us modality, for
> those use cases.

Well, there's modality and there's modality.

"No way out" Modality:

Modality where I'm stuck with waiting for something to run that I caused
accidentally to happen and is going to take some time, or I'm waiting for a
response from some web service that's either not going to reply or take five
minutes. I'm only left with closing the browser window as a way forward.
Really bad.

The operation is wholly on the client so the application is completely under
control without reliance on outside services. This is better because there's
little chance of the scenario above.

"Ok you can cancel" Modality:

My operation is going to take two minutes, but the boss says we have to
leave for the airport now. I need to cancel.

Having worked for years on a proprietary system with synchronous SQL
queries, I know how hated modal/synchronous panels can be.

Paul