Hi Franck,

I am also impressed at how powerful Flex + web services seem like they
could be and I don't think my issue is related to a bug. My complaint
is that, as far as I know, there are zero Adobe sponsored articles or
tutorials about using web services in anything but the most basic and
mundane ways. As both of us have said, web services are the mechanism
that will allow the widest adoption and impact of Flex (I also work in
an environment where money is not the deciding factor), yet they have
seemingly ignored the topic in their communications to developers, in
favor FDS at every turn.

Like FDS, web services are a very complex topic, but we have virtually
no information on the finer points of their implementation. How does
WSDL structure affect Flex's serialization of objects (my current
issue)? What differences are there in Flex's treatment of Doc/Literal
vs RPC/Encoded web services? Those kinds of things. Without Jesse's
sample app on how to use web services with Flex 2 + Cairngorm 2 we'd
really be screwed.

All I am saying is that the focus on FDS seems unrealistic and
counter-productive to the overarching goal of massive Flex adoption. I
would venture to guess that the overwhelming majority of organizations
(90%+) will not deploy FDS. Whether it be due to financial, platform
or other infrastructure reasons, it simply doesn't fit into most
stacks. That being said, you would think they could give some more
detailed info on how to implement the pieces of the framework that the
rest of us are going to use. Like I said, I think Flex is great.
Really great. I just don't want to see them blow the adoption
challenge. Again.

Ben

PS - I am using Doc/literal web services

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Franck de Bruijn"