I'm building a Flex 2.0 UI for an app that continually generates data
to be plotted on a line graph; new data keeps coming in, and when
there is too much data to fit in the chart, the older data drops off
and the horizontal axis shifts. (To visualize what I mean, picture the
Performance tab in Windows Task Manager - only faster.) Based on user
preferences, there may be 1..n line series.

I'm pushing the data from the server-side app to the UI using FMS, and
I'm using a LineChart component to display it. It works great as long
as there is only one line series. However, as soon as the user opts to
see more than one series, the UI starts to eat up all of the client
machine's CPU cycles (it ends up overing around 80 - 90%).

My question is two-fold:
1. What can I do to improve the LineChart's performance?
2. Should I be using something other than the LineChart for this?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

-Jim