Sadly, thats where the problems started for me.  I'm able to get at
the top level items, using getMenuAt or even using the menuItems
array, but sadly, i cant seem to get a handle on the first child menu

var myMenu:MenuBar = myMenuBar;
var nextLevel:* = myMenu.getMenuAt(0);

// throws error Property menuItems not found on mx.controls.Menu
var firstNestedChild:* = nextLevel.menuItems;

// throws error (Property getMenuAt not found on mx.controls.Menu)
var firstNestedChild:* = nextLevel.getMenuAt(0);

so, coming back to the original question, what syntax can i use to
get a handle on the nested children MenuBarItems?