Personally, and I'm no expert, my first thought would be to look at using the checkBoxes as an itemRenderer in one of the List based components you would have their properties determined by the dataProvider for the List and when you make changes to the dataProvider the checkBoxes as itemRenderers would reflect that - I think ;-)   Have a look at the use of the checkboxes in the Restaurant Finder example that comes with Flex 2.0 - I suspect it might have something to take you in a useful direction.

Sorry I can't be more specific, I'm learning too!

Phil

jobforkomputerman wrote:

I am running into a bit of a problem here and could use a nudge to
get going again.

My problem is that I have a list of Users in a left hand panel
of a HBox canvas. In the right hand panel I want to have a bunch of
Security Roles the User can be assigned to. I want the right hand
panel to show all of the Security Roles that are available, in a
listing of checkboxes, but not have any of the boxes checked until I
select a User from the list in the left hand panel.

When I select a User from the list I want to have a check mark
placed in all the boxes that the User is currently associated to.
I.E. I have 4 security roles (Sec_Role_1, Sec_Role_2, Sec_Role_3,
and Sec_Role_4) and User_A is associated to Sec_Role_2 and
Sec_Role_3. When I select User_A from the list in the left hand
panel I want a check to appear in the checkbox for Sec_Role_2 and
Sec_Role_3 but not Sec_Role_1 or Sec_Role_4.

Then I want to be able to make changes to the Security Role to
User association (I.E. remove the check from Sec_Role_2 and put a
check on Sec_Role_1), hit a button, and save the results back to my
database.

My questions are as follows. First of all I am not really sure
if I should try to place the checkboxes inside a repeater or inside
of a data grid using a rendering of a component inside a data grid.

The second problem I am having is the list of Security Roles is
created by one query (because the number of Security Roles can
change) and the association between Security Roles and Users is
created by another query. How do I first create the checkboxes and
then loop through the second query to check or uncheck the
checkboxes? Or do I need to write my CFC so it returns all Security
Roless for each User along with if there is an association between
the two or not?

Any ideas on how I would accomplish this??? I've seen plenty of
examples on how you use checkboxes to have forms do things but I
haven't seen an example where the checkbox is reflecting data
already in a database! Thanks in advance for any help you can
offer!!!

Have an Ordinary Day...
KomputerMan ~|:-)

Phil Marston