Sent: Wednesday, October 04, 2006 9:58 PM
Subject: Re: [flexcoders] Flex Marketing

I'd agree to that. The marketing effort seems to heavily rely on the development community doing that job for them. Things like labs and DevNet are KEY to maximizing technology adoption - but people need to know about it in the first place.

To Restate Adobe's Goal: 1 000 000 Flex Developers by 2010.

Some HEAVY DUTY marketing is needed. It definitely made sense to capture those who are most amiable to Flex (CF and Flash developers) first and grow from there. I think someone blogged about this before; in that of course Adobe related blogs are going to be heavy proponents for Adobe technologies. But now it's time to penetrate into the rest of the world.

In polling my heavy duty tech friends in other industries, they BARELY know what Flex is. Many haven't heard of it. And some have heard of it, just because they heard me mention it.

Awareness of the brand and technology needs to be more prevalent.

Gimme a cool Flex decal and I'll put it on my car! :)

Clint Modien wrote:

I mentioned this @ the Silicon Valley Flex User Group meeting the
other day but I wanted to reiterate it here and see if I could invoke
a response from Adobe.

Mr. Mendels?

Where is the marketing for Flex? Why keep the most beautiful
framework in the world for creating applications a secret? Where are
the Visual Studio style banner adds everywhere. Where is the buzz for
it on Slashdot. Why arn't other developers in the world standing up
and saying is creating applications really this easy!?!

I've seen the lights go on in a developers eyes when they get it.
When they see what 5 lines of code can acomplish with Flex. They get
excited. Excitement sells licenses.

(Gets off his soapbox and points to it...) ... Thoughts?