Daryn,

I see what you really want to do is more akin to this:

http://www.kaourantin.net/2005/10/png-encoder-in-as3.html

I¹ve used this for something similar, I believe someone has written a JPG
encoder, but all you need to do is grab the bitmap data of the web cam and
upload the binary to the middleware that actually converts the binary to an
actual file.

Sorry, I thought you were trying to save a Flash object like an array of
arrays or something.

Good luck,

Mike Weiland