On 12/15/06, Doug McCune <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 OK, right, we were talking about two different things. Sorry if this has
caused confusion. I was talking about dynamic data being indexable by search
engines. You were talking about search engine optimization for static
content (sorry again if I'm still misunderstanding).

I guess I never think about search engine optimization in terms other than
how to get your dynamic content indexed by search engines. If I have a
restaurant review website I want google to index every review that my users
write. I don't know what you call this is if doesn't count as "search engine
optimization," but I guess that's not what the term means.

If I run a restaurant review website I don't want to show up for someone
searching "restaurant reviews". I want to show up for someone searching "El
Farolito burritos". And there's no way I can optimize static content with
restaurant names or with what users are going to write. But I guess that's
not SEO, my bad.

Doug,

Whether you were using the word SEO in exactly the right way is not the
point. The irony is that SEO means search engine *optimization*. If certain
types of data are not searchable at all, then "optimization" is clearly not
possible. Your examples were clear and everyone except Mr. Dowdell knew what
you were talking about because we probably unlike him) spend lots of time
trying to figure out how to deal with it. And the issue you are raising is a
real one that is an important one to address. It would indeed be much better
for adobe to say that they understand the issue and build something that
would be of assistance, the same way that they did with the history manager.

It is indeed frustrating to watch them play cute word games with the issue
instead of just saying "yes it is a problem we realize, and at some point we
are going to put some resources on it."

In short, its not "your bad" and you have no reason to apologize. Mr.
Dowdell's response to you was inappropriate.

Regards,
Hank

John Dowdell wrote:

 I'm out of this conversation, sorry... if I say "start with the search
terms you're trying to be found on" and don't get acknowledgment, I'll
just bow out now.

(That restaurant sample applet, I have no idea if it's data-fed text or
internal text, and don't see mentions of E Coli myself, and that's not
the common type of things people are looking for with search engine
optimization. Undefined terms make the convo go 'round.)

Recap:
> Work in Adobe Flex produces SWF files. Text within SWF files can be
> found and used by the search engines (contrary to widespread myth).
Example:
> http://www.google.com/search?q=%22contrary+evidence%22+filetype%3Aswf
>
> If your content includes material fed in via database, then the search
> engine would not usually see that you use those words.
>
> As with all SEO tasks, you'd first figure what search terms you have a
> chance to compete on (eg, you will never appear on the first page of
> results for search terms like "buy flowers online"). Then set up your
> HTML hosting page with TITLE, URL, metadata and reinforcement of the
> targeted text terms. Then make sure you get plenty of inbound links from

> authoritative sources, preferably with your targeted search terms as
> anchor text.

jd

--
John Dowdell . Adobe Developer Support . San Francisco CA USA
Weblog: http://weblogs.macromedia.com/jd