I think you are on track with the idea of needing an "open indices"
property. But indicices are a bit messy in a tree. what would be best is a
set of common unique identifiers. A field in each node that is unique. This
will allow you to build  a function that creates a list of the ids that are
open, and another function that opens those nodes. The nodes will have the
same id no matter what language the actual text of the tree item is.
gathering the ids from the open items, and opening the items that have a
given list of ids should be relatively straight forward.

Regards,
Hank