This also didn't help. Is there any invalidate method I have to call at a
certain time? The dataProvider might be empty after this but it feels as if
my TileList has still garbage in it or I need to wait until a screen
refresh. The exception also occurs somewhere in the depths of the component
structure, not in my app, here's the stack trace in case it helps.

TypeError: Error #2007: Parameter child must be non-null.

            at flash.display::DisplayObjectContainer/removeChild()

            at
mx.core::UIComponent/http://www.adobe.com/2006/flex/mx/internal::$removeChil
d()

            at mx.core::UIComponent/removeChild()

            at
mx.controls.listClasses::ListBase/mx.controls.listClasses:ListBase::updateDi
splayList()

            at
mx.controls.listClasses::TileBase/mx.controls.listClasses:TileBase::updateDi
splayList()

            at mx.core::UIComponent/validateDisplayList()

            at mx.managers::LayoutManager/::validateDisplayList()

            at mx.managers::LayoutManager/::doPhasedInstantiation()

            at Function/http://adobe.com/AS3/2006/builtin::apply()

            at mx.core::UIComponent/::callLaterDispatcher2()

            at mx.core::UIComponent/::callLaterDispatcher()

  _____