I have a fill method being called in an event handler, and I can see
the correct data coming back in FDS (from Hibernate), but my
ArrayCollection is empty the first time the method is called.

If I trigger the exact same event with the same parameter a second
time it behaves as expected.  I think I am missing something subtle...

the event handler is as follows:

private function getAdminOption(username:String):void
{
  var theUser:ArrayCollection = new ArrayCollection;
  ID_USERS.fill(theUser,"IdUser.single",[username]);
  if (theUser.length != 0)
  {
    if (theUser.getItemAt(0).administratorGroupKey == 1)
    {
      currentState='AdminOption';
    }
    else