Actually, that is not necessarily the case. If you look at our
descriptions of Apollo, we try to make it very clear that Apollo is
focused at bringing RIAs to the desktop. It is this use case that is
driving feature prioritization.

 From the FAQ:

http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/Apollo:developerfaq#What_is_Apollo.3F

----
What is Apollo

Apollo is the code name for a cross-operating system runtime being
developed by Adobe that allows developers to leverage their existing web
development skills (Flash, Flex, HTML, JavaScript, Ajax) to build and
deploy Rich Internet Applications (RIAs) to the desktop.

What type of applications does Apollo target?

While a number of more traditional desktop applications can be built and
targeted at the Apollo runtime, Apollo is targeted at making it easy to
develop and deploy Rich Internet Applications to the desktop.

It is this use case, deploying RIAs to the desktop, which is driving the
feature set for Apollo 1.0.

What types of developers is Apollo targeting?

Apollo is targeted at developers who are currently leveraging web
technologies, such as Flash, Flex, HTML, JavaScript and Ajax techniques
to build and deploy Rich Internet Applications.
----

Now, having said that, being able to launch native executables directly
is still being considered. (although including native DLLs / libraries
will not be in 1.0).

Btw, you will definately be able to launch file handlers for file types.

Of course, this is just for 1.0, and we have to make some difficult
decisions around features in order to be able to get 1.0 out. We will be
doing versions of Apollo after 1.0.

Btw, as far as WPF/E, it is a browser based plugin, not a desktop
runtime, and thus has all the same security restrictions and other
issues with running in the browser.

mike chambers

[EMAIL PROTECTED]